- In some cases a blackout could cause the time in a timer setting (video recorder, answering
machine, rice cooker, etc.) to deviate from the actual time, or the timer setting could be
cancelled. Check all time settings when a blackout ends.
- Help to keep the inside of your refrigerator cool by not frequently opening the door and by
placing ice in the refrigerator beforehand.
- If a blackout occurs while you are using OA equipment such as a personal computer, the data
being entered may be lost or the equipment may encounter problems. Be sure to turn off all
equipment before the scheduled blackout start time. If you must use such equipment, be sure to
save your data frequently.
- To prevent fires from erupting when a blackout ends, unplug your iron, hair dryer and other
electric heating appliances from the outlet.
- To prevent accidents from occurring when a blackout ends, unplug all electric drills, electric
saws, hand mixers and other electrical equipment from the outlet.
*If you are going out, an even safer option is to turn off the circuit breaker. When you want to
use any electrical equipment after the blackout ends, turn the circuit breaker on and plug in
- If you are using an air pump such as in a tropical fish tank, disperse the fish into a number of
fish preserves or other containers so that the water can provide sufficient oxygen,or set up a
battery-powered air pump. Also take measures to ensure that the water temperature remains appr
- If you are receiving medical treatment at home, consult your medical institution before a
- In some cases security systems, fire alarms, gas leak sensors and other equipment may not
function. Self-locking doors may also remain open in some cases.
- Ventilation fans cannot be used, so if using a gas appliance, ensure that the room is well
ventilated by opening the windows.
- Using a briquette- or charcoal-fuelled charcoal brazier, portable gas stove or small generator
indoors can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning, so please refrain from using these. If you must
use one, be sure to ventilate the room sufficiently.
- In some cases traffic lights may suddenly black out, so proceed with caution at intersections.
- Candles could topple over and cause a fire during an aftershock, so please refrain from using
any form of flame and instead use an electric torch as your main form of lighting.
- To avoid being trapped in an elevator during a blackout, refrain from using elevators around the
time that a blackout is scheduled to begin.
- Note that automatic doors and self-locking doors will not function.
- You may not be able to park your car in or retrieve it from a mechanical parking garage during a
blackout. If you plan to use your car, please retrieve it from the garage before the blackout
- In buildings that store water in a water tank, you may not be able to use the water supply. Be
prepared by storing some water beforehand for your own use.